Potluck Saturday July 22; upcoming meetings; links to op-eds and letters to the editor
Occupation Update & Potluck
The occupation is now 6 and a half weeks old, and will celebrate the 7-week mark with a potluck at the site this Saturday, July 22, at 6 p.m. Please come out! Facebook event page.
Thanks to the occupation, the many yard signs all over our community, many letters to the editor and other forms of pressure on Penn State, we now have two meetings scheduled with decision makers.
On Tuesday, July 25, Nittany Valley Water Coalition reps are scheduled to meet with Penn State reps to discuss possible alternative sites for the Toll Brothers project, that could become part of a land swap.
And on Wednesday, August 2, NVWC reps are scheduled to meet with Penn State and Toll Brothers reps to continue assessing the possibilities for a land swap.
Op-Eds and Letters to the Editor
There has been a good amount of public discussion in our two main local newspapers – the Centre Daily Times and the Centre County Gazette/StateCollege.com. Below are some of the links:
- July 6, 2017 – Do you trust the engineers, CDT LTE by Jean Dietrich
- July 7, 2017 – Penn State’s ongoing commitment…, CDT op-ed by PSU VP Finance and Business David Gray
- July 9, A tired argument, CDT LTE by John Swinton
- July 12, 2017 – PSU, value natural resource protection, CDT LTE by Andrew McKinnon
- July 13, 2017 – The Battle for the Slab Cabin Run watershed, CDT op-ed by Kelli Hoover and Terry Melton
- July 14, 2017 – PSU morphed into ‘colossal enterprise,‘ CDT LTE by Ernest Hawk
- July 19 – Luxury Student Housing Should Be an Oxymoron, op-ed by Russell Frank on StateCollege.com
Expanding the Reach
We are interested in getting the message out to a statewide audience if possible, especially as the PA Supreme Court is considering whether or not to hear the NVWC appeal of the Commonwealth Court decision.
Contact info for newspapers in Harrisburg, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh below – please write letters.
- Philadelphia Inquirer – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Harrisburg Patriot-News – email@example.com
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette – firstname.lastname@example.org
NVWC also has several thousand copies of a small flier to be hung on doorknobs around our community.
Please email email@example.com if you can help with that.